Anti-heroes are characters that possess both heroic and villainous qualities, making them complex and relatable.
They often blur the line between good and evil, making them some of the most interesting characters in fantasy literature.
Here are ten of the best anti-heroes in fantasy literature that you should check out.
1. Geralt of Rivia from “The Witcher” series by Andrzej Sapkowski.
Geralt is a monster hunter who is also a skilled warrior and magician. He’s a solitary figure who is often seen as a villain by those around him, but he’s also a hero in his own way.
2. Raistlin Majere from “Dragonlance” series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
Raistlin is a powerful wizard who is also a recluse and a misanthrope. He’s a complex character who is both admirable and flawed, making him a true anti-hero.
3. Egwene al’Vere from “The Wheel of Time” series by Robert Jordan.
Egwene is a strong and determined leader who is also stubborn and impulsive.
4. Locke Lamora from “The Lies of Locke Lamora” by Scott Lynch.
Locke is a master thief and a con artist who is also a charismatic leader.
5. Kelsier from “Mistborn” series by Brandon Sanderson.
Kelsier is a powerful magician and a rebel leader who is also a ruthless and cunning strategist.
6. The Gunslinger from “The Dark Tower” series by Stephen King.
The Gunslinger is a solitary figure who is also a skilled warrior and a relentless pursuer.
7. Kvothe from “The Kingkiller Chronicle” series by Patrick Rothfuss.
Kvothe is a skilled magician and musician who is also an orphan, a thief, and a ladies’ man.
8. Kelsier from “The First Law Trilogy” by Joe Abercrombie.
Kelsier is a powerful warrior and a charismatic leader, known for his ruthlessness and cunning.
9. Jorg Ancrath from “The Broken Empire” trilogy by Mark Lawrence.
An ambitious king and a ruthless killer.
10. FitzChivalry Farseer from “The Farseer Trilogy” by Robin Hobb.
Fitz is a skilled assassin and a loyal servant who is also a bitter and damaged individual. He’s a complex character who is both admirable and flawed, making him a true anti-hero.