Fantasy literature has been captivating audiences for centuries, transporting readers to magical worlds and introducing them to unforgettable characters.
It’s a genre that transcends time and appeals to people of all ages. Here you’ll find ten classic quotes that perfectly capture why fantasy literature is an important form of art and what makes it so special.
Whether you’re a die-hard fan or simply curious, these quotes are sure to inspire you to appreciate the power and magic of fantasy.
1) “Fantasy is storytelling with the beguiling power to transform the impossible into the imaginable, and to reveal our own ‘real’ world in a fresh and truth-bearing light.”
– Leonard S. Marcus
2) “Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.”
– Dr. Seuss
3) “The incalculable winds of fantasy and music and poetry, the mere face of a girl, the song of a bird, or the sight of a horizon, are always blowing evil’s whole structure away.”
– C.S. Lewis
4) “Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.”
– Francisco de Goya
5) “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It’s a way of understanding it.”
– Lloyd Alexander
6) “Fairy tales since the beginning of recorded time, and perhaps earlier, have been a means to conquer the terrors of mankind through metaphor.”
– Jack Zipes
7) “The great thing about fantasy is that you can drag dreams and longings and hopes and fears and strivings out of your subconscious and call them ‘magic’ or ‘dragons’ or ‘faeries’ and get to know them better. But then I write the stuff. Obviously I’m prejudiced.”
– Robin McKinley
8) “I’ve always said fantasy is sort of stealth philosophy.”
– Terry Goodkind
9) “I think fantasy is best described as a kind of fiction that evokes wonder, mystery or magic, a sense of possibility beyond the ordinary world in which we live, and yet which reflects and comments upon that known world.”
– Kate Forsyth
10) “Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong.”
– Terry Pratchett